Hey guys! Hope you are having a great weekend! I wanted to share a few great healthy snack recipes – some that are family favorites and some that I am anxious to try. Keep reading for a round up on some of the best healthy homemade snacks I’ve found on Pinterest.
DARK CHOCOLATE SEA SALT ALMONDS
| Makes: 1.5 cups |
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet high quality chocolate
- 1 and 1/2 cups (raw and unsalted)
- sea salt
- turbinado sugar (or any coarse/raw sugar)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can temper the chocolate. If tempering, do not store finished nuts in the refrigerator.
- Stir the almonds into the chocolate, making sure to coat each one. Using a dipping tool or a fork, lift the almonds out of the chocolate one by one or only a couple at a time (you don’t want them all sticking together!), gently tap the tool/fork against the side of the bowl to release excess chocolate, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining almonds.
- Sprinkle almonds with a little sea salt and turbinado sugar, then allow chocolate to completely set. I placed the baking sheet in the refrigerator to speed it up!
- Store chocolate covered almonds in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
APPLE CINNAMON COOKIE ENERGY BITES
| Makes: 2 dozen |
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (not packed) grated apple (about 1 medium)
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flaxseed, and cinnamon. In another bowl or a liquid measuring cup, stir together the almond butter, honey, vanilla, and pinch of salt until well combined. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated. (I use my hands at the end to make sure everything is well mixed.) Stir in the grated apple.
- Scoop the mixture into tablespoon-sized portions (I use my small cookie scoop), and use your hands to squeeze it together into a ball. Slightly wet hands will help to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for 3-4 days.
FROYO BERRY BITES
| Makes: 6 servings |
- 1/4 cup almond meal or crushed almonds
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons honey, (optional stevia liquid to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries and/or raspberries
- 6-cup muffin tin and liners
- Line a 6-cup muffin tin with silicone or parchment cupcake liners. In a small bowl, stir together almond flour, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. Spoon a small amount into the bottom of each lined cup.
- In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and honey, or stevia to sweeten. Spoon 2 tablespoons into each muffin cup, covering the crust.
- Top with fresh chopped berries. Freeze until firm, about 6 hours.
AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
| Makes: 1-2 servings |
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon, juiced, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion, to taste
- 5 ounces cooked or canned wild tuna
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the avocado in half and scoop the middle of both avocado halves into a bowl, leaving a shell of avocado flesh about ¼-inch thick on each half.
- Add lemon juice and onion to the avocado in the bowl and mash together. Add tuna, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Fill avocado shells with tuna salad and serve.
CHOCOLATE-PEANUT BUTTER GRANOLA APPLE BITES
| Makes: 16-20 wedges |
- 2 apples, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granola, your favorite
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Semisweet chocolate chips, optional*
- Coat tops of apple wedges in peanut butter and sprinkle with granola and cinnamon.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring in 30 second increments until melted. Be careful not to overheat.
- Drizzle wedges with melted chocolate, set on a large platter and serve.
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!